Options Consultancy Services in partnership with Family Planning Association of Malawi (FPAM) and Development Media International (DMI) is implementing the Women Integrated Sexual Health (WISH) Project with funding from UKAID through DFID. The project is aimed at contributing towards an increase in Modern Contraceptive Prevalence Rate (mCPR) among all women with a focus on young people. The target districts for the project are Kasungu and Lilongwe.
Options’ approach comprises of four pathways of change encompassing the following:
(1) Improved public sector investment in Family Planning (FP) / Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR)
(2) Accountability systems to influence and track commitments and policies
(3) Favorable SRH/FP policy and planning environment
(4) National stewardship over SRH/FP quality improvement
Under the accountability pathway, Options is working with MANASO as an accountability mechanism to advance the FP advocacy agenda primarily focusing on family planning commitments which the government made during: FP 2020 London Summit, International Conference for Population and Development (ICPD) +25 and Costed Implementation Plan (CIP). 10 MANASO member CBO’s were selected after doing a capacity assessment, these CBOs are implementing the project which is in Kasungu and Lilongwe.
Family Planning need to be considered as an essential service during the current COVID-19 pandemic. The closure of schools and restrictions in movements (stay home order) is expected to contribute to an increase in unwanted pregnancies, therefore vital to promote FP/SRHR service provision. In this regard MANASO is looking for information which would assist in engaging with decision makers to amplify the need for promoting FP during the COVID-19 period.
WISH project under OPTIONS the following activities has so far been done:
- Capacity assessment workshop of MANASO and its affiliates was done at Linde in Mponela.
- Through this project MANASO in collaboration with Option also held a capacity building workshop which took place in Mponela at Linde hotel. In this workshop, all the member CBOs implementing the project participated in the workshop together 3 members of the secretariat.
- MANASO through its affiliates also have been involved in FP Budget tracking in their respective communities in FIPAM health centers.
- Furthermore, through the project MANASO have built capacity of its members through engagement and the use of zoom virtual platform meetings.